als Bildungsurlaub anerkannt, Aktenzeichen: III 1A-55n-4145-0219-17-0398
Do you know how to say "no"in English?
All the cultures of the world have one thing in common - the rule about politeness requires us to be mutually respectful when we communicate with each other. How we do this is, however, differs from culture to culture. In order to achieve ultimate politeness, English native speakers often use techniques of indirectness and tentativeness when making or refusing a request, saying no, saying that something is not possible, passing on information the listener might not want to hear, or even when giving a command. For people whose language is more direct, this is sometimes confusing and even challenging. Nevertheless, whether in a business negotiation or whilst socializing with a business partner, failure to conform to the rule of English politeness when using English as a lingua franca, can lead to misunderstanding and hurt feelings. One will always be forgiven for grammar mistakes, but not for rudeness. With English being the international language of business and more than one billion people worldwide speaking it as a first or second language, it has become an absolute necessity for business people in general to be able to use English in an interculturally appropriate manner.
This one one-week course focuses on the most difficult aspects of English communication in both spoken and written forms. You will learn face saving and communication strategies for interacting politely and effortlessly in English, in the following situations:
- understanding the complex meanings of the word "please" and using it in its different context both in business and socially
- saying that something is not possible - passing on information the recipient does not want to hear
- differentiating between a command, an instruction and a favour
- agreeing, and disagreeing in a face saving manner, in a business context as well as socially
- making and responding to a complaint
- apologizing and responding to an apology (social and business context)
- expressing your point of view or advantages and disadvantages of different subject areas
Informationen zur Methode:
Bitte beachten Sie, dass dieser Kurs nicht im klassischen Sinn "Superlearning" ist. Damit der Bildungsurlaub auch für Sie eine spannende und schöne Woche wird, bitten wir Sie sich im Fachbereich Sprachen über die Methode zu informieren und sich sprachlich einstufen zu lassen.
Passt dieser Kurs zu Ihrem Sprachniveau? Hier finden Sie Sprachberatung, Sprachtests und Niveaustufen.